Friday, March 2, 2012

Please let me introduce myself...

Hello all you fantastic foodies,

Thanks for visiting my blog. This is something I've been meaning to do for a while. Check back in for weekly posts. In the meantime...

A little about me:

I am an urban food forager. To clarify: To me there is no such thing as food set on the table. Every meal has a story, be it how it finds its way to your belly, or how your belly finds its way to the meal. This is where I'll be telling those stories.

Today I'll  be telling the story of how I found my way to food. I am a Southern California girl, (although I am English and half South African on paper). I grew up with a vegan dad and a mom who was raised on a dairy farm. Suffice to say, meal times were never boring. Although my parents had their gastronomic differences, they both had a deep respect for good food. As they experimented with their own cooking styles, I was always blessed with the job of guinea pig.

Although my parents planted this the seed in me, my love of food sprouted by default. I originally went to art school, which taught me I had absolutely no desire to be an artist. While there, I had your cliche college room mates: instant-ramen and take-out was the norm. A grilled cheese was a gourmet treat. I took it upon myself to feed them and (after some absolutely disastrous meals), me and cooking became a groovy pair. After college, we boogied our way across Asia, taking cooking classes in each country visited. I became a sponge and soaked up all the food and knowledge Asia had to offer me.

Here I am a year later; I have been living in San Francisco for the last 7 months attending culinary school. I never thought I could feel so exited about a career. This industry and this city are nurturing me in new ways every day. San Francisco is full of creativity, community, and fantastic food. It has inspired me to grab my education by the balls, and steer it in the direction that's right for me. I am foraging for my education in unlikely places. I learn through school, but also through internships, eating out, attending workshops, getting involved with community events and having no shame about walking up to someone and saying, "teach me."
This blog is about my education. It is about the events that go on in this city: from underground dinner crawls to thousand person chocolate conventions. I'll be attending book signings and workshops, touring food activism organizations and community gardens, eating at taco trucks and fine-dining restaurant, and of course taking you with me as I cook food for my eight room mates.

I will post every week with a new story. I am very exited about this project.

Keep checking in,

Jess : )


No comments:

Post a Comment